- Indian Cooking
- Fried Snacks
8 - pav buns
2 cups - potatoes boiled and mashed coarsely
½ cup - chopped onion
1 tsp - chopped green chillies
1 tsp - ginger paste
1 tsp - garlic paste
1 tsp - mustard seeds
pinch - asafoetida
½ tsp - turmeric powder
For Besan Batter:
1 cup - gram flour/chickpea flour/besan
1 tsp - turmeric powder
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Salt to taste
1. Mix gram flour(besan),turmeric powder, salt and water to form a dip thick Besan batter. Keep aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, green chillies and onions.
3. Saute for a couple of minutes till onions are soft and light golden color.
4. Add ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric and salt and sauté for a few more minutes.
5. Add the mashed potatoes and saute for a couple of minutes.
6. Allow the potato mixture cool down and divide the mixture into 8 portions, shape into round balls and keep aside.
7. Heat oil in a wok for deep frying.
8. Coat each of the potato balls in the gram flour batter and gradually let it into the oil and deep fry until golden brown in color.
9. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside
10. Slice pav buns horizontally.
11. Spread some garlic chutney on the one half and green chutney on the other half.
12. Place one vada inside the sliced pav and vada pav is ready to serve.
Provide your feedback for Vada Pav recipe page